Saturday, September 22, 2007

I swear this isn't a traffic blog

However, I find that the easiest thing to complain about is the traffic because it doesn't legitimately affect anybody negatively here. (This is a huge difference from my movie and sports blogs engage in rather severe name calling of certain people. I'm looking at you Orlando Bloom.

Anyway, I was trying to get to Alderman road from my apartment. First, I tried to go down Old Ivy. No dice. We had a football game here today so Old Ivy is closed to traffic heading towards Ivy at the Tunnel of Death. For those of you not familiar with the Tunnel of Death, there are train tracks running above the Tunnel of Death. The road narrows underneath these tracks because, well, why not? Why should engineers be expected to design a bridge capable of allowing two cars to pass by at once.

So, it was back up Old Ivy, onto the 250 Bypass, and through the Northern campus. Surely I can cross Ivy from Copeley.

Wrong. Besides getting stuck behind, count them, one, two, three, FOUR Sheriff cars, there was a police officer waving traffic through to the right. Or, back to Old Ivy. Thanks guys. That's really cool. Eventually, I just cut my losses and headed to the law school.

The thing I really don't understand though is the die hard affection for UVA football. Listen, UVA sucks at football. I hate to break that to everyone in this state, but at no point is this team going to be relevant. The high water mark for this program in the past 6 years was a 9-5 finish in 2002. Subsequent campaigns of excellence included 8-5, 8-5, 7-5, 5-7.

That's mediocrity at it's finest. On top of that, the program is 7-9 in bowl games. Not only do they not get invited often, they get invited to crappy ones and usually lose. So, really people, there's no need to mess up traffic on this side of Charlottesville for this kind of stuff.

No comments: