Monday, January 21, 2008

And We're Back

We are now back, returning to UVA for a second semester. I still don't know my grades so this second semester really could be short lived.

I got back into town last week, just in time for the giant snow storm. That was pretty damn exciting since people in Virginia don't know how to drive normally and definitely cannot handle the snow. First, the road crews just aren't equipped to take care of it. Second, the solution that people in VA come up with is to drive 10 MPH under the speed limit, but to still keep doing the aggressive driving that's so popular down here.

Look, there's enough traffic on 250 so that the road actually gets cleared in the lanes because of the traffic. You're basically driving on just regular wet pavement. You don't have to go 10 MPH slower (except around turns, more on this in a minute). However, the whole cutting someone off is really bad because there's still the chance they'll be hitting a slick spot so that they can slow down. The accidents I saw were almost all caused by this.

However, there was one that wasn't. Up by the Law School, there's an exit from 250 bypass that's only accessible going east. Someone decided to take the offramp at a high rate of speed and ended up putting their SUV/Truck hybrid throughly in the ditch. If I had a camera, I would have taken a picture.

So to review: Don't cut people off. Don't take turns at high rates of speed.


Coming up later this week: thoughts on my profs and the whole new slate of classes.

1 comment:

Coach John said...

Found your blog through a google search; interesting stuff!

I'm starting law school next year and just got in to UVA, I'll definitely be reading to try and get some insider info.